Valentine’s Day gifts are so tricky. You don’t want to get anything too expected or cliché, but also nothing random and removed from any romantic symbolism. Modern gifts are perfect for Valentine’s Day, as they are both beautiful and practical– many with a special story behind their design. We’ve rounded up 14 favorites for Valentine’s Day 2016 (under $100) that are sure to surprise and delight your sweetheart this holiday. And for the singles? Treat yourself!
from top to bottom, left to right:
1. Say cheers! The perfect pair of glasses for a couple to toast with. The modern stemless sillhouette will have you bringing the Riedel “O” Champagne Tumblers ($24.95) out on less special occasions, too.
2. For love that’s evergreen. Trinkets you’ve given as gifts in the past will be lovingly tucked away in the MoMA Hedgeware Container ($21.00).
3. I like your face. A fresh bouquet of flowers are better given in the Design Memorabilia Profile Vase ($65.00), which will be appreciated long after the blooms have wilted.
4. A gift with heart. Part of the proceeds from the Alessi Alessandro M. (RED) Corkscew ($52.00) help in the global fight against aids. Why not gift alongside a bottle of his or her favorite red?
5. Leave love notes. Thoughtful reminders find a home on the Blomus Muro Notepaper Roll Holder ($25.19). No need for a card, just jot down your message on the first sheet.
6. Mini mood-setters. Red tulips are considered a symbol of true love, and the Design Ideas Red Tulip Candles ($25.00) are stunning little wax sculptures that can be lit and floated in water.
7. A symbol of your love. Picking out your significant other’s clothing doesn’t always go well, but gifting a way to hold them with the Design House Stockholm Red Arrow Hanger ($55.00) is the right direction.
8. For your riding partner. A handsculpted miniature of a bicycle, the Design Ideas Doodle Bike ($25.00) has wheels that turn, pedals that move, and kickstand that holds it up.
9. Strong feelings. The Kikkerland Pushing Men Bookends ($40.00) are a reminder of the teamwork of two, and that you value your partner’s strength.
10. Good-looking lookbook. Perfect for sparking conversation at the coffee table and inspiring the space around you, Artfully Modern: Interiors ($65.00) is 272 pages of eye candy.
11. Breakfast in bed. The Viskaform “You and Me” Tray ($46.00) not only has a very fitting name, but it’s the perfect place for pancakes to appear on Sunday morning.
12. Love birds. The iconic bird of a vintage kettle has landed on the Alessi Michael Graves Tea Infuser ($40.00), a petite and darling addition to any tea lover’s kitchen.
13. 4 x 6″ 4 Ever. Frame your favorite picture of you two in the modern Pacific Connections Lacquered Mondrian Picture Frame ($92.50), or get creative with a doodle, poem, or song.
14. Hello honey. Ok, that’s a cheap play on words. But we bet your honey doesn’t already have the Blomus Desa Honey Jar ($23.39) and would love some fresh nectar from a local shop.