Happy Earth Day! Each year, April 22nd celebrates the anniversary of the modern environmental movement in 1970. It is now celebrated by more than a billion people each year, and serves as a call to action for change both on the individual and policy level. Though we should be working towards a clean environment everyday, the holiday is an important reminded of the gravity and urgency of environmental issues.
In honor of earth day, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite products that gave consideration to the environment in design and production:
1. Marimekko Kaiku Lunch Napkins – With a pretty birch tree print, these are printed with non-toxic, water-based colors on recycled tissue.
2. Shun Cutlery Medium Cutting Board – This Hinoki wood is Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Certified for sustainable forest management practices, as it is taken from forest thinning practices required to maintain healthy growth.
3. Studio Xaquixe Glasses – The organic shape of these glasses is achieved through handblowing with upcycled materials and alternative biofuel energy. Using vegetable oil waste from frying food as the primary energy source instead of propane eliminates CO2 emission almost entirely.
4. Vitra Tip Ton Chair – Tip Ton is made from 100% recyclable polypropylene and is manufactured from a single mould without any mechanical components.
5. Cose Nuove Votives – Handmade in Spain from recycled glass, these artisan votives are both beautiful and eco-friendly.
6. Stelton To Go Cup – Ditch the disposable paper cup for something more sustainable, sensible and stylish. This thermos is made from BPA and phthalate-free plastic.
7. Cose Nuove Tulip Swedish Dishcloth – Eliminate paper towel waste with this durable and reusable cloth. It can be cleaned in the washing machine or dishwasher, sanitized in the microwave, and reused countless times. When it’s finally time to toss your cellulose cloth, it is compostable.
What are ways you practice eco-friendly consumption on Earth Day and year-round?