This Sunday marks the first official day of summer but for us, it already feels in full swing. The recent memorial day weekend may have had you enjoying your backyard space or left you wishing you could do more with it. Don’t worry– there are plenty of patio parties to be had ahead. These five modern patios will provide plenty of inspiration, and by taking tidbits from each, an outdoor oasis can be achieved on even the tightest budgets or time crunches.
1. Why we like it: The combination of stones and concrete creates a clean canvas, which is balanced by ipe wood for warmth and bamboo for a natural element. Bamboo is a great alternative to fencing for privacy, but can quickly “take over” so it is best contained in small beds or pots.
2. Why we like it: Scandinavian style is fresh and clean yet still intriguing. The black and white palette works well with the washed out wood, and statement pieces like the rattan-style pendant lamp, candle holders and throw pillows make it a true extension of the home.
3. Why we like it: String lights add ambiance and romance to a patio instantly, especially in conjunction with candle-lit lanterns. Other statement pieces, such as pottery-style vases and simplistic, soft textiles make the space feel furnished without being cluttered.
4. Why we like it: An outdoor space is the perfect place to try out mid-century modern. This patio has strong architectural lines, which makes the space feel filled without only a few furniture pieces and overgrown greenery. Warm food fencing, stone tiling and a cement water piece master mixed elements.
5. Why we like it: Modern design is all about simple solutions that are highly functional and aesthetically pleasing. In this outdoor space, a gate is forgone and a wood-slat panel is set back to create an easy and elegant walkway. Despite some rustic elements, the space reads contemporary thanks to clean-lined chairs in a highly saturated shade of green.
Which of these modern patios would you want to spend the day at?