Flowers and candy will once again top the list as the most popular Valentine’s Day gifts. If you’re determined to get a unique gift, see Anna’s gift guide that’s full of ideas for anyone on your list. However, if you plan on giving flowers or expect to be on the receiving end, I’ve rounded up my top five tips for extending the life of those gorgeous blooms:
1. Always use a clean vase that has been washed with hot, soapy water. This removes bacteria that can cause slimy water and dead flowers.
2. Fill your vase with warm water; it helps tightly closed flower heads open fully.
3. Strip off any foliage, stems, needles, etc. that are below the waterline.
4. Move fast. Cut the stems of your foliage with a sharp knife and submerge them in water immediately.The fresh cut will help stems absorb water better.
5. Keep flowers away from sunlight and heating vents.
Now that you’re prepared to have lasting bouquets, some inspiration on vases and arrangements is in order. I’ve rounded up five of my favorite arrangements that use the iconic iittala Aalto vases. Its free-flowing shape is truly unique and timeless, but organizing the buds can be a little challenging because of its silhouette. The following images should spark some creative and modern ideas to showcase your beautiful blossoms.
The wonderful thing about Aalto vases is its versatility. When the radiance of the flowers finally fades away, display the empty vase as a piece of glass art. It can be used to store kitchen utensils or office supplies. Or it can be used to serve food. There are plenty of ways to use and showcase an iittala Aalto vase. See AlwaysMod’s selection.
Have a tip or floral arrangement you’d like to share? Leave us a note in the comments section below. We’d love to hear from you.