Did you know that today, June 5th, is World Environment Day? Run by the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), it exists to raise global awareness about the environment and encourage positive actions that protect natural resources.
Last summer, I did a more in depth post about how Marimekko takes ecological responsibility seriously. From product packaging to textile printing, environmental impacts are taken into account, and the WWF Office Badge further regulates these practices. Marimekko proudly recycles and uses safe chemicals when needed on their products.
In honor of the holiday, I rounded up some of those products which take the extra step to be more eco-friendly.
1. Marimekko Hauki Dishcloths – Made from a unique and absorbent cellulose material, these dishcloths can be sanitized in the washing machine, dishwasher, or microwave to be used time and time again. When it finally comes time to toss it, you’ll feel better knowing it is both compostable and biodegradable; what a cute and eco-friendly alternative to wasteful paper towels!
2. Marimekko Kompotti PVC Placemat – The word PVC has traditionally made environmentalists cringe, but Marimekko does things a bit differently with their coated cotton. Since 2008, all of their PVC has been phlathate-free and Öko-Tex Standard 100 certified to be toxin-free. Plus, the easily cleaned and reusable placemats are a great alternative to disposable ones.
3. Marimekko Unikko Silver Medal Tote – Marimekko hates to see fabric go to waste, but they also have a strict inspection process to ensure quality. Combine these two traits and voilà; the silver medal bag is born. If fabric doesn’t meet the “gold medal” standard, then it becomes silver medal. Take the eco-friendly factor of this bag even further by making it your go-to reusable market tote.
4. Marimekko Jurmo Bath Towel – This lengthy bath towel is made from 100% organic cotton, meaning it has been grown more ecologically than standard cotton and is even softer; a plush plus for you and the environment! Try reusing your bath towel more than once to save water and further reduce your environmental toll.
5. Marimekko Joonas Smart Bag – While any tote is a great way to avoid bringing a plethora of plastic bags home from the market, you have to actually remember to bring your reusable bag along with. Unprepared, impromptu shopping trips then often force us to instead take the plastic route. This clever creation folds up into a tiny square which can always be kept in even the smallest of purses, so you always have a bag handy.
6. Marimekko Unikko Outdoor Pillow – When enjoying the outdoors, make sure you aren’t using products that harm it. This Unikko-adorned cushion cover is made with Tempotest, a safe and environmentally-friendly type of acrylic designed for outdoor use due to its mildew and UV resistance. It is perfect for porch or patio lounging.
7. Marimekko Puutarhurin Parhaat Cloth Napkins – Cloth napkins are a great alternative to paper ones. Unlike disposable ones, you only have to buy them once and they can be washed and reused. These also have a cute veggie design to encourage green eating!
8. Marimekko Kaiku Lunch Napkins – When accommodating large parties or outdoor gatherings, using cloth napkins just isn’t convenient. When paper napkins must be used, make sure they are eco-friendly. Printed with non-toxic, water-based colors on recycled tissue, these 100% biodegradable napkins are a more ecological way to enjoy the convenience of disposables.
What steps do you take to reduce your carbon footprint? Let us know below!